It’s again been a while since I’ve posted anything, so I’m using this efficient post to put things back on track! These are all basic pieces I made a while ago but hadn’t yet gotten around to photographing. It’s probably been obvious from my posts so far that I’m obsessed with floral prints…I must also admit that I’m immensely fond of polka dots! 🙂
P.S. I’ve been working on something a bit different to usual this week – I’m looking forward to sharing it soon! 😉
I bought this fabric years ago and attempted to use it to make a dress. However, those were the days when I didn’t have a clue about grainlines and as this fabric is reasonably stretchy the result wasn’t good! I kept the dress for years in my bag of clothes-that-didn’t-go-quite-right from which I occasionally pick out things to either try to salvage or pull apart to use as scrap fabric.
Last Sunday I was having an unsuccessful sewing day and ended up frustrated and annoyed at the top I was trying to make. As I demoted that project to the clothes-that-didn’t-go-quite-right bag, I stumbled across this dress and found myself re-inspired.
I used the original bodice I had made for the dress and added a bit of a flounce. There was little planning involved and at first I wasn’t sure that I liked the proportions of the top. However I tried it on and immediately loved how it felt – girlish and fun!
I’m not entirely happy with this dress. It is far less chic and ten times more matronly than I had hoped! However, the fabric is bamboo so it’s incredibly soft and the fact that it’s a wrap makes the dress super comfortable to wear. So despite my misgivings I still can’t resist wearing it!
It’s been a while since my last project – I’ve started a new job and have been flat out. It’s a terrific feeling to be posting again 🙂 Expect to see a bit more from me than usual over the next few weeks while I frantically try to catch up!
I bought this silk fabric on a whim a few years ago but never really knew what to do with it. The design is so bold and fun – I really wanted to make something that showed it off. I ended up deciding on this smock dress with a waist tie, which I’ve taken to calling my ‘seaweed dress’. Perhaps not the most flattering of names, but I feel it works!
This dress is from an old pattern I had for ages but had never used. I had a great time constructing it, mostly because the fabric is floral and boy am I obsessed with floral! I used to despise invisible zips but I am now rather fond of them – I love how well they blend into their surrounds. Again, looking forward to summer to wear this one!
For my third project I made a pencil skirt that I absolutely adored…
Alas! I have sad news!
A few weekends ago I was wearing the skirt whilst preparing for some guests who were visiting that day. Just before they arrived I thought I’d do another quick wipe of the bathroom tiles. Without thinking, I bent down and immediately heard the sound of fabric tearing. Argh!! I’d managed to rip a rather sizeable hole in the back of my new skirt! I must say I was devastated…
Anyway, not the end of the world! I’m still debating over what I’ll do with the remnants, as I can’t bear to let the fabric go to waste! In the meantime I decided I needed to make another pencil skirt to make me feel better about the other one’s demise. I still had some of the Indonesian batik fabric I used to make cushions a while ago, and decided this would make a cheerful skirt to wear during the colder months. Here’s the result!
There’s going to be a bombardment of posts from me this week as I’m running a couple of weeks behind.
I thoroughly enjoyed making this top/tunic and I’m really happy with how it turned out. Unfortunately it’s too cold at the moment to wear without a jacket – disappointing because the back is my favourite part (I love the gathers and yoke). I plan to use the pattern again to make something more appropriate for winter.
IN LOVE. That’s how I feel about this fabric. It’s a fine silk that is so soft and delicate. I’m getting married early next year and am planning to make the dresses for my bridesmaids – I have a feeling this will be the fabric I’ll use! It’s hard to get a good idea of the colour, because it looks so different depending on the light.The closest match is probably the colour of the final photo.
I plan to make a cami to go underneath…I’ll keep you posted 🙂 Also, I haven’t hemmed it yet – the pattern suggested ‘leaving overnight to hang’ first. Which I’ve never heard of before! Can anyone shed some light on why this helps?
Project 6! The weeks are going so quickly. So far this blogging business is definitely working at keeping my sewing motivation high (you might even say I’ve become a bit obsessed…oops).
This dress feels a little more dull than most things I make for myself, but it’s also very practical and versatile (admittedly not usually the things I look for in clothing!) so I’ll be able to wear it to work. I’ve already worn it (of course) and found it comfortable and surprisingly warm. There are a number of imperfections so please don’t look too closely! I find I’m still learning how to work effectively with stretch – I’d never realised how challenging it can be!
This silk cotton fabric is so divine – I love how soft it feels! I wanted a dress that used as much of the fabric as possible – this one fit the bill fairly well. It was easy to make – four panels sewn together, with facing (hand sewn in place) at the neck and arm holes and a sash to pull in the waist. I haven’t had an occasion to wear it yet but I’ll keep you posted 😉