So I’ve tried my hand at something new this time! This picnic rug came about after toying with the idea of a picnic-themed wedding but being unable to find picnic rugs that were both nice and affordable.
After sewing all the squares together, I sewed on a white cotton backing and then quilted the whole thing to some tarp to make it waterproof. The tarp is actually part of a white drop cloth that I found at a hardware store.
I initially thought I’d add a border like you would on a quilt, but ended up deciding it wasn’t necessary so just zig-zagged the edges of the fabric and folded them over the tarp. It’s not padded or anything so needs some fairly thick grass under it to feel really comfortable. It also doesn’t look as smooth as I imagined it would, but I suppose it’s bound to crinkle when it’s sat on anyway!
We still haven’t made a decision about its use at the wedding, but I’m happy with how it turned out and had lots of fun making it! Definitely looking forward to many summer picnics!
It’s again been a while since I’ve posted anything, so I’m using this efficient post to put things back on track! These are all basic pieces I made a while ago but hadn’t yet gotten around to photographing. It’s probably been obvious from my posts so far that I’m obsessed with floral prints…I must also admit that I’m immensely fond of polka dots! 🙂
P.S. I’ve been working on something a bit different to usual this week – I’m looking forward to sharing it soon! 😉
After reading this post from Eclectic Threads, I felt inspired to use the Sorbetto pattern I’d had sitting in my pile of ‘to dos’. The pattern is super easy and a rewarding way to spend a couple of hours. I hadn’t made bias-binding before but found the tutorials on the Coletterie site really helpful and straightforward. I love the idea of using bias-binding for the edges – it’s such a nice detail. And the box pleat is very sweet. What a great pattern! I’ll definitely be making more of these 🙂
I first made a skirt using this pattern years ago. Since then I’ve made so many more I could do it in my sleep! I’ve given them as presents to friends and even made a stack in different sizes and sold them on Etsy. I’ve been feeling the need for a pink skirt for a while now, so brought out this trusty pattern to quickly make one! In true form I wore it to work the day after I made it and then again a couple of days later.
My mum gave me this fabric from her own collection a few years ago. I have very fond memories of rummaging through mum’s suitcase of fabric while she sewed (probably making a terrible mess). So it felt quite special using some of that fabric to make something of my own. I based the pattern of this tunic on another I own that I wear to death during in-between weather.
I’m not entirely happy with this dress. It is far less chic and ten times more matronly than I had hoped! However, the fabric is bamboo so it’s incredibly soft and the fact that it’s a wrap makes the dress super comfortable to wear. So despite my misgivings I still can’t resist wearing it!
It’s been a while since my last project – I’ve started a new job and have been flat out. It’s a terrific feeling to be posting again 🙂 Expect to see a bit more from me than usual over the next few weeks while I frantically try to catch up!
I bought this silk fabric on a whim a few years ago but never really knew what to do with it. The design is so bold and fun – I really wanted to make something that showed it off. I ended up deciding on this smock dress with a waist tie, which I’ve taken to calling my ‘seaweed dress’. Perhaps not the most flattering of names, but I feel it works!
This dress is from an old pattern I had for ages but had never used. I had a great time constructing it, mostly because the fabric is floral and boy am I obsessed with floral! I used to despise invisible zips but I am now rather fond of them – I love how well they blend into their surrounds. Again, looking forward to summer to wear this one!
For my third project I made a pencil skirt that I absolutely adored…
Alas! I have sad news!
A few weekends ago I was wearing the skirt whilst preparing for some guests who were visiting that day. Just before they arrived I thought I’d do another quick wipe of the bathroom tiles. Without thinking, I bent down and immediately heard the sound of fabric tearing. Argh!! I’d managed to rip a rather sizeable hole in the back of my new skirt! I must say I was devastated…
Anyway, not the end of the world! I’m still debating over what I’ll do with the remnants, as I can’t bear to let the fabric go to waste! In the meantime I decided I needed to make another pencil skirt to make me feel better about the other one’s demise. I still had some of the Indonesian batik fabric I used to make cushions a while ago, and decided this would make a cheerful skirt to wear during the colder months. Here’s the result!
There’s going to be a bombardment of posts from me this week as I’m running a couple of weeks behind.
I thoroughly enjoyed making this top/tunic and I’m really happy with how it turned out. Unfortunately it’s too cold at the moment to wear without a jacket – disappointing because the back is my favourite part (I love the gathers and yoke). I plan to use the pattern again to make something more appropriate for winter.